Friday, June 06, 2008

Broken Glass Theology

I should know after all these years to not put dishes away when I first get up and haven't had a cup of coffee but I haven't learned. I thought the glass was on the shelf but it wasn't and it started to fall and I grabbed for it and it hit the edge of the shelf beneath and shattered.

Broken glass is a reminder that you need to clean all kinds of places you haven't thought of or cared about for a long time. We also know that through some incredible law of physics, glass travels great distances and into spots you never would have thought.

So, how does this relate to my spiritual life? Well, there are certainly areas that I choose to overlook that have gotten "dirty" or need come cleaning up. The flip side is how do my words and actions (thoughts,too) travel much further than I imagine?

The mercy of it is that that goes not only for my sinful words and actions but for those seasoned with grace.

Thanks for the broken glass, Lord.

3 comments:

Mariah said...

Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great insight. Suzanne

Wendo said...

You should consider writing a book of devotionals. Great insight!