Wednesday, October 18, 2006

If you were a raindrop...

...where would you go? Into the Wallace home, of course. Houston's had one of its rainy spells with the subsequent flooding of streets, some homes and the opportunity to discover if your roof leaks.

Tim climbed up there yesterday and is pretty sure he discovered the reason for our leaks. A poor roofing job. He commented that his "roofing mentor", Mark, back when Tim did roofing would say "you have to think like a water drop." The valley in the front of the house was not done correctly (we believe from a previous conversation that cousin James put this second roof on) and so the water takes the path of least resistance. As Tim joked it's like the shingles are saying "come in this way, here's a nice opening" (I paraphrase). So, the water does and into the attic and down the beam and off into the ceiling and then soaking the sheetrock and out into the entry hall.

The other leak is from a bad job around a vent. Tim had already done some caulking after last Thursday's heavy rain but it was Monday's deluge that revealed these new leaks. Another round of rain is coming today and so I expect more interaction with nature inside. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday we'll get it fixed. We emailed our landlord and cousin James last night that we are pretty sure we know what the problems are. I called cousin James on Monday to let him know the roof was leaking.

I was reading in 1 Peter. Chapter 1 verse 6 says " In this you greatly rejoice even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trial.."

The whole chapter is good reading. I'm so thankful I have that living hope, that inheritance, that salvation to greatly rejoice in. I pray that through all these distresses, the proof of my faith "may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (second half of verse 7).

No comments: