Friday, August 11, 2006

What do we really need?

Can we live with maroon carpet in the living areas and pale green in the bedrooms? A jacuzzi spa tub with no shower in the master bath? Does the nice neighborhood outway decorating issues?

That was one home we saw yesterday. The other had a brick wall about five feet high that hid the front window with a space about 3 feet between it and the window full of weeds (what architecture design person thought that up?). Plus, this home backed up to white oak bayou. I ruled it out because of that. We could ask to take the strange wall out but you can't move a bayou. I'm thinking flooding, rats, mice, snakes, other vermin, teens on dirt bikes riding back there etc...

The third home didn't have a lock box yet. It's in the neighborhood we're in now so we drove over to look at the outside. It's on a corner with one of those curving driveways that is double at top and single off of street. But the home has a fire hydrant out front and with it being on the corner, you couldn't park out front anyway.

So, I'm thinking, what do we really need? A roof over our heads and what a blessing that we have the means to have one.

Tim wants to wait and see some "by owner" ones on Sat. morning in Harvest Bend. I'm leaning toward maroon carpet. It has a lovely kitchen and a walk-in-pantry (be still my heart!). Plus, a new gas range. I've had an interesting time adjusting to the old electric coil O' Keefe & Merritt in this house. Some burners run "hot" and one doesn't really work. And the stove timer and clock decides to hum/buzz if you bump the stove.

It's these imperfections that help remind me that this world is not all there is. I've been singing "Depth of Mercy" as surely I have been given much.

More pictures forthcoming.

2 comments:

mrspractical said...

You're the second person to say something about A&M. I didn't even know who a Teasipper was until a coworker in Baltimore who was an alumnus told me. My blood is not burnt orange.

Mudrostovich said...

I'm inclined toward the maroon carpet too. My main reservation was that it would lock me into a Beltway+290 rush-hour commute. Now that I've got flex-time, that's much less of an issue, so maybe that's the way to go...(?).